Angela - Runnells, Iowa

“The total person sings not just the vocal chords.”

~Esther Broner

Music is an art that gathers attention from everyone. When a song begins, the lyrics and melodic sounds combine and capture the listening soul. As a vocal music performer, I believe it is crucially important to sing with more than just vocal chords into a song; instead I believe in entering the song with my soul.

By throwing myself into a piece of music, I allow every emotion to leave my burdened body and enter that of others. I let my soul escape the skeletal prison that it is enclosed in; letting it release every feeling of sadness, anger, and excitement.

In rehearsals, I am instructed to include past experiences in my performances. In doing this, I include both past and present experiences and emotions in my show. To do this, I may enter such feelings as anger or resentment into pieces of music that are meant to be full of hatred and disgust. The audience can then form a better understanding of what is being stated through the musical piece.

For some vocal performers, throwing themselves whole-heartedly into a selected piece is no difficult task. With other performers, on the other hand, what may appear to be simple is quite an obstacle to overcome. It is not easy to just “let yourself go” in a certain piece.

To achieve the goal of singing with more than just the vocal chords, I perform various exercises to reach the level of success I am wanting. I need to do activities such as meditating, remembering the past, closing my eyes and visualizing how I want the song to be performed. I compare it to other similar pieces of music until I hit what I am looking for- until I find the “it” factor that will engross the audience with feeling.

I fall into that category, along with many others, in which makes it difficult to express who I am and what I feel in a song. I have to spend many tiring hours and rehearsals with the choir before I am finally able to reach the true meaning of the piece being performed at the upcoming event, whatever it may be.

On the other hand, when it comes to certain pieces of music, such as “Ave Maria,” in which the myriad voices combine to form one solid voice, I can easily slip myself into the song. I can close my eyes comfortably and rest inside while on the outside, I melodic tones and rhythms fill the enclosed space. My body stays in position as my heart races and my soul struggles to leave me and dance.

I believe in music; music being the art of everyone and everything. Music it what is an art that is most understood by everyone. We all can associate with one another as a tune is being performed. It brings us together under any circumstance from music such as bouncy holiday music to motivational tunes to monumental war pieces.