Victoria - Little Falls, New Jersey

I Believe

I believe that friendships don’t last forever. This is not necessarily a bad thing; it’s just the way it is. Throughout a person’s life, they will meet hundreds of people, and form relationships with many. These relationships are usually based on common interests, location, and age, all things that change. Why, therefore, does anyone think that friendships are supposed to last forever?

Currently, a popular teen acronym is BFF (Best Friend Forever); this term is silly for a number of reasons. First of all, it is unlikely that your best friend in elementary school will remain your best friend for life. As a young person moves on to high school and college, she will meet new people and find new friends. Also, BFF implies that you can only have one friend. Young people usually have many friends. Those who are not designated BFF, are often hurt or jealous.

Friends who play the same sport, or dance together, or play the same instrument have something that keeps them together for a time. They can share detail of that sport, or interest that others don’t share. As life goes on, however, people’s interests change. The person who was your best friend because you both played the trumpet, might not continue to be your best friend if you drop trumpet and take up swimming, and you might find a new best friend at the pool.

Although friendships sometimes end, this doesn’t mean they are not valuable. Friendship provides many gifts while it is going on, but also, leaves something when it ends. It might be good memories, it might be positive changes in you, or it might be a lesson, even a painful one.

I believe that understanding that friendships may be for the present time and not forever helps develop the positive outlook that life is an ever-changing adventure.