Cara - Little Falls, New Jersey

I Believe

I believe that homework is a bad thing. I don’t think we need it. I think that it is a waste of time; I think there is too much homework assigned. Homework interferes with after-school activities, makes people overweight, and can cause anxiety, boredom, and emotional exhaustion. Schools should ban homework!

Most students have after school activities. Many of these activities start as early as 4:00 pm, and can end as late as 9 or 10 PM. Tackling homework next, keeps most students up very late. This leaves little time for sleep, and results in students who are too tired to pay attention in class the following day. A teacher’s response to a tired student is usually “Get to bed earlier!” This is not really possible.

Also, if we have to do our homework we have less time to get exercise. I think that most of the overweight children in America are overweight because they have no time to exercise because they’re doing homework. It is common for students to snack while doing homework. Long hours of homework, lead to excessive snacking. Also, sitting in one position for long periods of time, is bad for circulation. All in all, homework is unhealthy.

Scientists have proved that anxiety and emotional exhaustion can be caused because homework stresses students out. With at least four major subjects each day, students are bogged down with math problems, reports, books to read, essays to write, questions to answer, or presentations to prepare. The pressure of getting this work done so it can be handed in on time is intense. After six hours in school, several hours at sports practice, dancing lessons, piano lessons, clubs, or even part time jobs, homework, that is boring and tedious, is the straw that breaks the camel’s back!

In conclusion, I strongly believe that homework should be eliminated. With less pressure, students would be more enthused about learning, do more reading, writing, and research on their own. They also would have time to get out into the fresh air to exercise, and just have fun! This would surely be a positive change for students everywhere.