Keith - Little Falls, New Jersey
Themes: setbacks

I Believe

I believe that the world is not predictable. Life might be safe and comfortable, then all of sudden it might change. It is in adapting to life’s changes, that a person learns life’s lessons. Just being aware that life can change quickly helps a person be prepared.

Being young, my life for the most part seemed perfect, until my grandfather was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, and I realized that life was not all good. Because my grandpa lived in Florida, I didn’t see the early changes, and when I visited recently, the effects of this terrible disease were traumatic. Grandpa could hardly walk, and he barely recognized me! This visit was difficult, and although I want to visit him again, I fear it might become too emotional. I have many memories of my grandfather. He inspired me to play the trumpet. He used to remember so many songs, and he would be able to play them without the sheet music. I used to believe that he would live forever. His illness made the harsh reality hit me: that grandpa may not live much longer. I have to adjust to this reality.

Another hit to my perfect life theory came when both my brother and I were diagnosed with appendicitis. Appendicitis is a rare thing for children my age. When I got this infection, I had to have my appendix removed. Then about six months later, this also happened to my brother. I did not believe that history could repeat itself so quickly. I thought that I would be the only member in my family that would have to have a serious operation. Now I know that anyone can get sick at anytime.

The world is not predictable. I thought my life was perfect, but have learned that everyone faces challenges. I now know that in spite of those challenges, life really is good. It’s all about being prepared to accept changes and difficulties and deal with them. This is what I believe.