Larry - Little Falls, New Jersey

I Believe

I believe that life is not always fair. In other words, I’m saying that life has a path of its own. You can’t control life, only adjust to it. Bad things do happen to good people. Accepting this truth is the first step in committing to overcome the challenges, to strap on your seatbelt and prepare for life’s bumpy ride.

When I was young, I had a dog, a female Doberman named Hera. My father bought Hera in Pennsylvania, where she was born and bred. Hera was a good dog. Whenever I was alone and needed some someone to talk to, Hera was there. But as time passed, I got older and so did Hera. When I was in sixth grade, Hera was diagnosed with cancer. A short time later she passed away. I was devastated by the loss of my pet, and questioned why this had happened to me.

Another time that life was not fair was when I was forced to move in fourth grade. My mom was getting married to my step-dad, and they wanted my to move to the town of Little Falls. My mom had promised that we wouldn’t move until after fifth grade, my final year of elementary school. This was important to me because I wanted to graduate with my friends. My Mom was not able to keep this promise, because a house became available in Little Falls, and in order to buy it, we had to move as soon as my fourth grade year was over. I knew in my mind it wouldn’t be the same. I entered fifth grade in Little Falls. In my new town, fifth grade was the first year of middle school; I had missed my graduation! I was angry. When I began to make new friends, my anger started to fade, and I began to see that Little Falls was a pretty good place. Now, life couldn’t be better.

Life is not perfect; neither are people. But learning to deal with the unfairness of the world and to being able to stand back up, when life knocks you down is the best way to deal with it. Even though I was upset when my dog died, a new dog came into our family comfort me. Even though I left friends behind when I moved, I now have new friends to fill that gap. The glass is half full, not half empty; this is what I believe!