Jolee - little falls, New Jersey

I Believe

I believe that no one person is the same. Each person is unique in their own way and should be recognized for their good traits and not their weaknesses. There are great people being diminished by unnecessary comments and unfair statements. Too many people are judged by the color of their skin, the way they talk, or their style of dress. It would be a better world if each person were appreciated for his or her positive qualities.

I feel I am often judged like the cover of a book; people judge me by what they see and hear and don’t take the time to really get to know me. Because of this, people may be missing out on having a good friend, someone they might really like and respect. I have also made this mistake. Once, I remember a conversation where a classmate talked on and on about herself. I thought, “Wow, this person is full of herself!” Later I found that she had been going through some difficult times, and was just looking for assurance. This person was actually fun, outgoing, and similar to me.

There was a girl in our class who became the subject of a nasty rumor last year. Even though the rumor was not true, people continue to talk about her in a negative way. Many people are judging her by what others say, when they really do not know her at all. In reality, this girl is kind, intelligent, talented, and a good friend. People should get past the rumor and look at this girl for who she really is.

Another classmate gets judged and made fun of for the way she dresses and the way she talks. She believes in leprechans. and people really don’t appreciate her fascination with this subject. Basically she sits by herself and rarely talks to others. At dances she goes wild and lets a side of her self-come out no one really has ever seen in school. From that people still think of her as strange. Maybe this girl is just hurt and lonely because of how her peers treat her. If someone was able to get close to her, they might find she is interesting, unique, and could be fun to be with.

I believe the world would be a better place if more people paid attention to the golden rule: “Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.” By keeping an open mind about people, and taking the time to get to know them, your life may be enriched by friendship and adventures of which you never dreamed.