Courtney - Altoona, Iowa

Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

Toasty, cheesy, warm, grilled cheese sandwiches. Everyone has something that is comforting to them when things just aren’t going right. For me, I believe in grilled cheese sandwiches. Whenever I am having a bad day I go to the kitchen get the bread and butter and make myself a grilled cheese.

When I hear that butter sizzling on top of the pan and see the cheese melting out of the bread it makes my day seem not so bad anymore. I have experienced my fair share of bad days, upsets, and complete disarray which means I have consumed a lot of cheese and bread. It might not be the healthiest comfort food but it works for me.

When I am indulging in my unhealthy sandwich it reminds me of when I was younger when my mom would make me a grilled cheese after I had fallen or after me and a friend had been arguing about what Barbie dress we wanted. It’s always made everything better.

On a hot day in July back when I was in my old neighborhood I was outside riding my new bike I had just gotten. I had grown too big for my pink bike with the sparkly ribbons that were hanging outside the handles. This bike seemed as though it was for a giant, me being so short, I climbed on top of the bike, which my dad had to hold from falling over, and steadied myself. As my dad let go I started to peddle, I didn’t get but halfway down the driveway when I lost control and fell over. My dad ran over to me as I started to cry. My knees where completely scraped up and started to gush blood. I saw the blood and started to cry like it was the end of the world. My dad carried me into the house and sat me down on one of the kitchen chairs. My mom started to clean up my knees and put Barbie band-aids over the scratches. I thought I was seriously injured so I limped over to the couch and sat down. Minutes later my mom called me into the kitchen and had a nice grilled cheese sandwich on the table waiting for me.

When you’re in elementary school you have no stress, you don’t have to worry about what you’re going to do in the future, and you don’t have to worry about how to get along in life. Everything is just fun. As I eat my sandwich I think about nothing. If I had gotten a bad grade on something, it didn’t matter so much anymore. If I wasn’t getting along with someone, I would fix it later. The sandwich to me symbolizes my childhood when everything was okay, when everything just wasn’t such a big deal to everyone. When you’re going through a problem you don’t want to think about it all day. You always need something that can make you feel better.

It doesn’t matter how you confront your problems but you always have to have a way to make yourself feel better. Whether it’s talking to a family member, maybe you have another comfort food, or just having sometime alone.

My grilled cheese sandwich on a bad day isn’t so much a sandwich it’s my friend. Some days I just need a day off from everything going on around me. It’s a chance to get away from people and everything else.