Albert - San Pablo, California

The things that really matter

Life and its vast consumption of time shows you just how harsh it can really be at the times you least expect it. You never anticipated the car crash that left you with one leg or one eye. You never wanted to hear the flat-line of a person you’ve been with for what seems an eternity as you just couldn’t imagine the world without them. Many things like this happen every day to people who wouldn’t even budge at the mosquito sucking at their toe. It happens to people who live their lives inside and simple, avoiding all of the troubles of the outside world. You never know when it’ll happen, but when life blows you that wakeup call, counter it with everything you have, and go on becoming stronger each minute you breath. Go on knowing what really matters to you.

Family matters the most. Your family is everyone who matters to you. Your cousins, your neighbors, your best friend from preschool, even your dog. You can depend on these people. They help you become the person you are today, they show you the shortcuts to the park, and the easiest way around the obstacle courses of life. You share with them. You laugh with them. You cry with them. They help you overcome problems with others, and guide you through the darkness of the caves. You are the school of fish in the sea who travel together and learn together. You are the murder of crows who struggle together and bleed together. You are a family, and you welcome anyone who shines their light in your path, respecting, cherishing, and praising you on your journey.

Honesty also matters. If you want to have a really good friend, get an honest friend, and hope that they are loyal and disciplined as well. You want to be around people you know you can trust. You want to be around people you know will help you off of the ground in times of need. Hopefully they’re not the type of person who says this and that, and does otherwise. You want to have a friend who will take the blame for you, not to feel brave or heroic, but who does it in an attempt to protect you. An honest friend isn’t afraid to say I love you. Usually they don’t, but they you know you mean it, and you know they do, through experience.

Leadership matters as well. Its starts when you are very young playing at the park, or at elementary school during play time. The coolest kid usually has the other students playing along with him scheming a plan to be mean or to tease another kid who has freckles, or too thick of glasses. The students supporting to cool kid are usually following him for their shot at coolness, while he leads them to a bad citizenship grade, or worst trouble. Not all leaders are well behaved, or socially polite leaders, but if you want to live a prosperous life full of everlasting sun light, then you want to be a good leader. When you are a good leader, you influence the others around you to want to be good once they see what you get out of it. It doesn’t come naturally, it takes practice and maturing, you learn as you go on, you feel it when you aren’t leading, and you know when you are following the wrong crowd.

I have lived my life following these values, and helping people choose the right path on their way to greatness. My parents have helped me through the floods that prevent us from going on, and given me the advice that I can pass on someday. I know that its hard for some people to help others, but if you are reading this, then I am helping you, and I ask that you help someone else whether you care about them or not, so that you know that there are people out there willing to show you the love and respect you deserve.