Chelsea - Altoona, Iowa

I was only 1/8 of the way done with high school and I was already in trouble. When I was a freshman I started out my high school career with the wrong crowd. All I wanted to do was be cool and I would do anything to achieve it. Instead of learning from my mistakes I kept on hanging with that crowd, and doing things I knew I shouldn’t be doing. Sophomore year came all too quickly and I found myself in trouble once again. I started to think that maybe it was a sign that I wasn’t going in the right direction with my life and vowed to make some changes. But the pressures of being cool were too much for me to handle. It was junior year, and I bet you could guess, I was in trouble again. I got a code offense for the things I did and wasn’t allowed to participate on RhythAMetteS for a while. I had disappointed my parents yet again. I was a captain of the dance team and my parents and I went through a lot of verbal abuse from other parents on the team. I gave my word that I would do everything I could to be a good leader to my team but I was only a failure in every parents eye. Finally, I had realized that I wasn’t on the right path in my life. I got in trouble for a reason. In the end I realized that being cool isn’t worth losing your parents trust and respect. The experience brought me closer to my true friends, and to my family, but ultimately helped me straighten out my life. A year later I am happy with everything in my life. I still think about how different things would be if I hadn’t changed my lifestyle. My life now feels just right. I have amazing friends and a great relationship with my parents, which makes me know that getting in trouble happened for a reason.

I believe that all things happen for a reason. Many people disagree and say that our lives are unexpected and that there is no right path for us. But I think that our life is already planned out, with little setbacks, such as my code offense, just to give us a little push in the right direction.

A couple years back I was preparing for Monday night dance class, as usual dreading the late night. I was only thinking about how much I wanted class to be over, so that I could return home to my warm bed. Halfway through the class I was doing a leap and landed it wrong. I fell awkwardly onto my ankle. I was rushed to the doctor and later found out that I broke my ankle. I was devastated when the doctor broke the news. For weeks and weeks I sat and home thinking about how much I took for granted.

Many times at dance I found myself not trying my hardest. Almost all of the time I dreaded going to dance class, as I did the night of my injury. For the time that I sat at home and didn’t get to participate I became very bored. I actually wished I could dance. I thought about all the people that wanted to dance every day of their lives, but couldn’t afford it or because they just weren’t allowed. I felt bad for never being truly grateful for how much time and money was put forth, by other people, so that I could dance. My injury helped me to realize all this.

Even though I went through a lot of pain and boredom from my injury, in the end I was happy it happened, because I knew that it had for a reason.