Joe - Irmo, South Carolina

The Late Bird Gets The…

I believe procrastination leads to creativity and insight.

Throughout my (almost) 17 years of existence, I’ve learned a few things:

1. Music is the best tool for invoking various emotions, from relaxation to adrenaline.

2. Working on something the minute it is assigned is near impossible for me.

3. Last-minute work is always interesting.

As I sit here typing this essay the day before it is due, half an hour before I plan to go to bed, all I can think about is how fun it is to wait until the last minute to do something. While it feels great to finish something and have spare time afterwards, nothing quite beats the satisfaction of slacking off until it’s almost too late, then pulling something out of thin air.

Anyone can say that they’ve finished all their assignments or tasks with time to rest, but it takes a truly skilled person to say they did something else completely then tackled their duty. Even though it’s great to be able to do, I won’t deny that procrastination is a somewhat self-destructive habit in the end, in fact I agree entirely. Not only is it a huge risk to take, but eventually the procrastinator finally finds that one thing that he/she cannot complete with the little amount of time left.

Still, there are plenty of benefits to waiting until the last minute. For one, there’s always the chance that you could find out the assignment has been cancelled, and it feels terrible to have worked hours on something that isn’t going to be turned in. You can also get a bit of a rush knowing that unless you get the task finished on time, you’re going to fail and get nagged by your parents, causing you to work twice as hard with the time that you’ve got, albeit you would have had twice as much time without procrastinating in the first place. One of the most important things to keep in mind is that sometimes the most creative ideas can come in the last minute. Take this essay for example: I could have spent hours concerned about what I was going to write about, but thanks to laziness, my own patheticness has given me a theme to write about.

As with everything that is out there, there are pros and cons, and procrastination is no exception to the rule. Sometimes it can be very useful, and at times it can be an unneeded quality. Either way, there’s always some way to make use of a skill like procrastination.