The Power of Forgiveness

Lisa - San Antonio, Texas

I believe in the power of forgiveness. I raised my daughter as a single mom since she was a baby. Her father was not around for the first 3 years of her life. When my daughter turned 12 she decided she wanted to live with her father. We went to court and ultimately the court ruled that she can live with her dad since she was old enough to make that decision, according to Texas law. I felt betrayed, hurt, like a horrible mother; yet at the same time I still loved my daughter. What was there left for me to do? Forgive her and love her just as I did before. Forgiveness has bonded my daughter and me together in a new way. Even though we may be further apart physically when we spend time together we are very close.

I believe in the power of forgiveness. After my daughter went to live with her father and step mother, I was consumed with hatred and bitterness. Each time I spoke to them on the phone or wrote them an email, I would feel sick, anxious and doubting my own motherhood. I blamed everyone around me, including myself. One day, I had an epiphany. It’s not my fault. I can’t go back and change the past. Even if something in the past was my fault there is no sense in blaming myself or those around me because it won’t change my current circumstance.

I believe in the power of forgiveness. Forgiveness would not be powerful if it was an easy accomplishment. Forgiveness is a conscious act that must be carried out each day because I am human. I still have the feelings of anger and betrayal and it takes effort to put on the cloak of forgiveness.

I believe in the power of forgiveness. I believe God has forgiven me for every wicked sin in my life and given me new life, a life of freedom. If God has forgiven me and is in control of my life, what right do I have not to forgive those who have wronged me? I have no right. If I don’t forgive those who have wronged me I reject the validity of God’s forgiveness in my life. I would be saying, “God can forgive me but I can’t forgive you.”

I believe in the power of forgiveness. Forgiveness can’t be stolen or rejected. Forgiveness comes from me and is completed in me. The individual I forgive in my heart may not even know I have forgiven them. It starts and ends with me and is truly a change of heart. I believe the power of forgiveness is revolutionary.

I believe in the power of forgiveness. I believe it has changed my life dramatically. I believe that my daughter has learned from this as well. She has me as an example of how to forgive others when that time comes. My daughter forgave her father for not always being there; this is proof my daughter is learning the power of forgiveness.

I believe in the power of forgiveness!