Ethan - Altoona, Iowa

Achieving My Dreams

I always have goals and dreams. Some are small, while others are big. Some may change, and others I might just drop completely. I set many goals for myself; some may not even be reachable, but I don’t care. It gives me something to work for. I believe you should set goals for yourself and try to achieve them.

Every day of my life I set goals. It gives me something I can work for and be satisfied with when I achieve them. In wrestling practice I constantly set goals for myself, for example, not letting anyone score on me or getting a number of take downs with a certain move. These goals help me to become a better wrestler and work harder to do that. If I didn’t set goals for myself I wouldn’t be where I am at today. I would be an average wrestler. Goals make me push myself as hard as I can so I improve as much as I can. The goals I set daily may not be my main goals but they are my stepping stones I use to reach the bigger goals I have set. Even if I don’t reach my goal of being a state champ I will have known I worked my hardest and did everything I could to reach my goal. It’s still better than setting no goals for myself and having nothing to work for and reach for.

I believe the first step in making goals and working to achieve them is to write them down. If I have a goal that I just have in my mind I know I won’t do anything about it to make it come true. I think you should write it down first so you have something on paper you can see. I believe in looking at my goals every day to remind myself why I am working so hard every day. I have my goals written down in my room so I get to look at them each day before I go to bed and when I wake up. I first write down my major goal then I write down all my minor goals that can measure how I am coming along on my major goal. I think it is better to set your goals high because if I set a really easy goal for my self and I accomplish it, I don’t feel very satisfied or like I worked hard for something. When I set a big goal that no one but myself thinks I can accomplish it and I do accomplish it, it makes me feel a whole lot better than doing a goal that I didn’t even have to work for. I believe the harder you work for something you want the better it feels to accomplish it and know that you earned and deserved it.

I know I wouldn’t be where I am today if I didn’t set goals for myself. It has helped me improve in many areas of my life. Goals have helped me push myself to become the best person and athlete I can. Without goals in my life I would have to depend on others pushing me. I know that I really need to push myself all the time if I want to be the best and reach my goals no matter what they are. I am going to continue setting goals in my life so I can reach the dreams I have.