Melaina - Hockessin, Delaware
Themes: parenthood

I believe in the hard-working woman that is my mother. It is not the nine to five desk job, or the stress of raising a pair of teenage twins that I desire, it is her inner-strength-the inner-strength to have enough perseverance just get by day to day without blowing a gasket, biting everyone’s head off and giving up.

My mother starts her day at 5:00 AM, even before the sun wakes up. After her shower, and her morning coffee, it’s off to her own personal hell, where she works with a power-hungry boss and loud-mouthed, self-centered coworkers. Given that she works for the IRS, she is also forced to deal with upset taxpayers. I actually feel ashamed about ever complaining about school when I compare it to her job.

Her stress at work has even led her to develop a nervous twitch. I’m not quite sure if she even notices it anymore, it’s been a part of her for so long. I imagine her a ticking time bomb, just waiting to blow, but somehow she never does.

Her stress doesn’t stay behind at the office either. She only arrives home to piles of homework to be helped with, bills to be paid, and dinner to be cooked. It is then that she can help me with my projects that I have left to be done at the last minute, for I am the biggest procrastinator of anyone you will ever know. After all this, it is then that she can finally lay down to rest, getting her a much-deserved, if limited, 6-hours of sleep.

My mom doesn’t have x-ray vision and she most definitely cannot fly, but in my eyes, she’s a superhero. And although it would be really cool if she could lift a car, her strength isn’t superhuman, it’s not even physical. My mom has inner-strength. Inner-strength that allows her to persevere through her grueling, 18-hour days. I hope this inner-strength and perseverance will soon rub-off on me, for my mother is the one person I truly aspire to be. She is my idol. She is my superhero.