Ashley - 19702, Delaware
Themes: family, illness

Never Give Up

When is the last time someone who meant something to you died? I was born and raised a Christian. Being a Christian teaches me many morals. However, my moral isn’t based on Christianity. I believe that I should never give up.

My family and friends always taught me to never give up. However, one person in particular really pushed it, my loving Pop-Pop. He was diagnosed with a thyroid tumor in 1999. He fought it aggressively. Later on he was diagnosed with liver and lung cancer. Through every biopsy, scan, radiation/chemo treatment, surgery, etc. he never gave up.

My Pop-Pop fought the cancer for about six years. The cancer was like being stuck in quick sand. There was no way out of it. When he was really sick (about a month before he died) I made him a card. The card had a Bible verse on it and read “I love you and never give up.” He said Ashley, “I love you too and don’t worry, I am not giving up. You don’t give up on me either; have faith.” He died on October 7th 2005. He passed away peacefully with family and friends at his side.

I think about him often. He told me to never give up. I know he fought his hardest for six years. I loved him and wish I could thank for never giving up. I know he got weak. I know he wanted to give up sometimes. But, he had people all around him who loved him. I can’t imagine if I lost him when I was in 1st grade; 7th grade was hard enough. I would have had few memories and important life lessons.

One thing that I will never give up in is my school work. My Pop-Pop always told me that I was smart. When I was little I always wanted to work with children when I grew up. I wanted to become a pediatrician. Since my Pop-Pop died, my plans changed. I want to become a pediatric oncologist. A pediatric oncologist is a doctor who works with children with cancer. I want to be able to help and care for kids with cancer. I have been told many times that that is a hard job and that it would be too sad for me. But, I know with God’s help and my life lesson I will be able to get through it.

There are many things that are important to me. The most important thing has symbolic meaning to my life. In everything I do I will remember to never give up. Even if I fail I know that My Pop-Pop would have been proud of me for not giving up. Again, I believe that you should never give up.