Michael - Waukesha, Wisconsin

Michael O’Connell

Hour 2-Mr.Bingen-English

I believe in the belief of believing nothing. This belief, or lack of, is more pertaining to religion than anything. I think that there is no point in believing in any religion because there is not always proof in what you believe in. I think that believing in a god or many gods is just a way for people escaping the reality of the world. I haven’t seen any thing that has convinced me that a god even exists, and not only that, and I haven’t been convinced enough to base my life around or waste time in my day to pray or worship something that is not even real. I think people that do attend church or another form of a holy place are wasting their time. There is no afterlife, there is no heaven, and there is no hell. Once you die, that’s it, its over, nothing else happens. I think that people can’t grasp that concept and so they believe that once they die something miraculous will happen. I don’t understand how because you are dead! There is nothing else to it. Nobody died for my sins. I am here because of my mom and dad and they are here because of their mom and dad and so on. There weren’t two people, Adam and Eve, or one god, Allah, for example, which brought us here into existence. And to the people who do believe that, are not realizing what is going on in the world in front of them and they need to wake to the reality that is the world we live in today.

Religions and beliefs can help people change their life, but it’s the principle that what is helping some is killing other at the same time and I don’t think it evens out. People’s belief is an excuse to live a certain way and escape reality. If there was really a god who created us here on earth, he wouldn’t approve of the way we live anyway. We have countries fighting over different beliefs, such as the the Middle Eastern countries, who are killing each other over if they are a Sunni or a Shiite when both of them believe in the same god. All major religions say not to kill, and they have been killing each other for the same reason for the past 50 years. It is not just that specific religion. Anybody who believes in a religion is a hypocrite and I refuse to be like them and give in to the way they want me to live and what they want me to believe. I will not conform, I will not believe in nothing, and I will not stand for this hypocrisy that is the way we say we live. It is inexcusable and I don’t understand how people believe in something that is killing hundreds and thousands everyday. You can try to argue that statement but I am willing to bet my life, that all wars that are started and that will be started, will somehow come back to the idea of their belief is superior to the others. The whole idea is preposterous and I will not let it stand through me and the way I live. I will and do, believe in the belief of believing nothing.