Katie - Irmo, South Carolina
Themes: setbacks

Could This Be My Last Mistake?

One fateful November day in 2005, a shot rang out. He was dead within minutes.

My cousin, Jay Wallace was way too young to die, just 13 years old. He enjoyed skateboarding and playing his saxophone in his middle school band. He enjoyed fishing with his grandfather, riding a motorcycle with his dad, and playing basketball and football with all his friends. He made one mistake.

Jay and two of his friends decided to skip school one day. They hid their bikes at the back of the house so nobody would know they were still home. They proceeded to go inside and play computer games. Jay then took one of the kids to his mother’s bedroom and they pulled down a rifle. They took the gun out to the living room to mess around with it. Afterwards, Jay led one of the kids, who was holding the rifle, back to the bedroom to put the gun back up. The kid, not knowing the rifle was loaded, pointed the gun at Jay and pulled the trigger. BANG! The bullet struck Jay in the back. He died soon after. He made one mistake.

This is why I believe that people deserve second chances. Humans are not perfect. Everybody has made a mistake at one point in their life. My cousin’s just happened to be fatal. He did not deserve to die. My family did not deserve all the pain and suffering they had to go through and still go through everyday.

Jay was a wonderful kid. He was lovable, caring, and sweet. He made one mistake.

I believe that everybody deserves the chance to go back and say, “You know, this might not be such a great idea.” I believe that every person is worthy of a second chance because it could just be that one mistake that is their last.