Courtney - Altoona, Iowa

A Light at the End of the Tunnel

One of my favorite Psalms states, “weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning” (Psalms 30:5). There are odds and ends of every situation. How I deal with these situations, makes me the person that I am. Whether I dwell or move on with a positive attitude shows if I am an optimist or a pessimist. Being an optimist defines my existence and myself. I don’t like to dwell on the negative things in life. They happened, I learned from them, and then I move on. I truly am an optimist. This shows that I see the light at the end of the tunnel that is defining hope within my future.

Everyone goes through hardships in their life and some people dwell on them for years to come or some people choose to get through them by leaning on their friends and family for support. Death is not an easy thing to deal with nor to get past. My aunt died about ten months ago, I was very close to her, and it was one of the most difficult things that I have overcome in my short 17 years of life. I could have slept all day and been in a constant state of depression or I could have gotten up and seen every day as a new day where my loved one was watching over me, which I chose to do. It was a struggle in my life that I overcame with flying colors. I will always love and miss her.

I can embrace my life and take in every minute like my last so that I always smile and live my life to the fullest. All I have to do is believe and I know I will find a way. Depression is a poor feeling to overcome, and I would never wish the feeling of emptiness on anyone. It’s a struggle to go through and being medicated for it is even more difficult because all you feel is mellowness. Nothing is happy and nothing is sad. You just have that middle feeling of everything being okay. After overcoming depression, antidepressants, a trip to the emergency room, and 24 hours in the hospital; I’m so thankful to be happy and smiling again, like I used to be. Some people dwell on the past and depression; however I see it as a light at the end of the tunnel.

I could live in darkness after my horrible breakup or I could step out into the light and know that things can, and will, find somebody new. There is someone in this world for everyone; I am an advocate for that. It all depends on how a person takes their destiny. Everyone was given a destiny the day they were born. I make the decisions that live out my destiny and make it what its going to be. I can be with someone or I can be alone, and still happy. There are many people in the world, who want to find someone to love, and be loved back. It’s my decision that I choose to love and whether or not they make me happy. It’s difficult to hear it, but more times than not, I can’t help I love, it’s supposed to be that way. All that matters is that they love me back. Some define love as the “deal breaker” for whether or not they’re happy. I see it merely as a perk, a light at the end of the tunnel. Mary Mclead Bethune (An advocate of education for black women) said, “Without faith nothing is possible. With it nothing is impossible”.

Some people go through life not believing in a higher power, I’m not that person. I don’t have time to attend church, but that doesn’t stop me from praying and keeping up with my faith. Not everyone is going to get what they want. I prayed for two years, to get, something that I wanted. If someone prays like it’s said that you should then God is flooded with prayers, he can’t answer them all. I pray every night, and God answered the one prayer I have had for a long time on Christmas Eve, I finally got my best friend back. That’s the one thing I had truly been wanting for over two years, and I received it. I look to God as a helping hand that guides me through my troubles and hardships. He is the person who created my existence, and me because of him I believe that I have a purpose. God is my light at the end of the tunnel.

I want the hope for my future to be bright and positive. I have dreams and I want them to come true, and seeing the light at the end of the tunnel helps me to do this. Other’s don’t always see things the way I do, but I have discovered that by seeing this light, makes me a happier person and keeps me moving forward.