Elizabeth - Provo, Utah

The first time I noticed it was not the first time I saw it. I knew the name of it long before I knew why it was so important. I have laughed on it, cried on it, sat on it and even slept on it, but I never realized that the experiences I had were enhanced by its presence, until one day I asked: “Dad, why is grass green?” My initial question had been prompted by a simple wonder. The first time I asked I received an answer about how God made the grass soft and colorful for us because he loves us, and wants us to be happy. On subsequent explorations I learned about the biological explanations, but none of them ever intrigued me as much as the idea that God made it that way for a reason. I believed my Dad that day. It is only now however, that I can really say that I believe in grass.

For some, grass is merely a composition of cells; to me, it helps me to discover the goodness in the world by providing a perspective that transcends the biological. I do not remember how many times I have found a solution to a problem that I have pondered whilst sitting under a tree pulling apart a blade of grass. Nor can I remember the number of times I have run through hay fields on warm summer days, pulled up a handful of grass and fed it to a neighbor’s horse, watched the sun set from the grassy hillside overlooking the river by my childhood home, or seen shoots of grass breaking through the cracks of the concrete pavement, defying its adversity. As I look back on these experiences, I realize that even though my memories may be fading, there is one thing I still remember: whenever I smell freshly cut grass, or crinkle it beneath my toes, a smile comes to my face and I can hold my head high. The world may be growing darker, but it’s at these times that I remember that I live in a beautiful world that God made for me to show me that he loves me.

Every spring, I look forward to the day when the new blades of grass burst through the melting snow in search for the sun. Even though it had been down- trodden and hidden by an icy layer, it will always return. In some ways we are all like blades of grass: after the cruel winter, if we are prepared to reach upwards towards the sun, we will always return, stronger and more beautiful than before. It may seem that we are just one in a vast field of others like us– unnoticed, useless and occasionally allergenic– but I not believe that. God made us each special and shows us in subtle ways that he is mindful of us. I believe that God loves us equally but knows us individually because I believe in grass.