jake - Pleasant Hill, Iowa

IS THAT ALL YOU’VE GOT?

This I believe has to be one of the hardest things that I have ever had to write about. I believe in many things such as death, first love, heaven, and hell, and I’m being told that I have to pick one thing to write about. The thing that is the highest of my beliefs is that you never ask God if that’s all he’sgot.

I was at a water park in Florida with my friend Corbin Hays. We had no idea that this was going to be the funniest and the most fun day of the trip. We had been waiting in line for what seemed like an eternity with the sun turning our skin tomato red and causing the ground to burn our feet to an unbearable point when we hear, “All people waiting in lines please leave the line and go to a safe area. There is a large storm approaching.” We had already been on this slide a couple of times, so it really wasn’t that big of a deal. It was just that we had been waiting for so long and were the next to go when we were told to leave.

Upon that command, we started the slow, hot walk back to the shelter where my parents were waiting. Instantly upon arriving at the metal shelter (real safe), the lightning, and thunder started hitting all around us. With the instant chill in the air, the rain coming down and the roar of thunder, I looked around and saw that the tourists that were here from France cowering in fear under a table (I guess they don’t get thunder storms in France).

It had been raining for over an hour when it finally seemed to be clearing when Corbin decided to yell, “IS THAT ALL YOU’VE GOT!” Instantly a very large lightning strike struck no more than 50 yards from where we were seated. With that strike, many of the French people started crying and wanting to leave. That strike was the closest that I ever want to be to another lightning strike in my life. With the foreigners starting to cry, my father and I started laughing at the thought of Corbin yelling at God, and immediately following, God answering him.

Every time I’m with Corbin, we talk about this trip and every thing that happened over that week, and all of the stupid things that were said and done. This is one of the most remembered quotes from the trip and we still laugh about it now. When ever I hear a lightning strike some where, the first thing to come to my mind is “IS THAT ALL YOU’VE GOT!!”