Lindsey - Altoona, Iowa

Dance

What do people think about dance? Some people say, “Oh, that’s easy, I can do that,” or “dance isn’t a sport.” They don’t see what’s going on in my head when I am dancing or how hard practices are. Dance is a lot harder than people think. They don’t realize I am multi-tasking. When I dance I have to count eights in my head or know what move goes on each word and beat to make sure I’m exactly together with my teammates. They don’t know the process each dance goes through. First, I have to learn the dance, and then I have to clean the dance. This means going over what goes on each count. I have to clean the dance at least once if not a couple more times to get every move exactly together. Going days without practicing I forget things I cleaned so I have to go back through the dance and clean it again. They don’t know I’ve been dancing since I was five years old. Also they don’t see the rhythm I have developed. I cannot dance fast to a slow lyrical song or the opposite. My teammates and I have to remember all of our dances and most of us dance at another studio where we have to remember even more dances. Dancing is a lot easier and more fun when I have passion for it or at least like it. If I didn’t, people would be able to tell when I am dancing just like anything else I do. I wouldn’t try as hard and most of the time it would show in my face or expression if I didn’t like it.

Non dancers don’t know all the hours it takes of our lives. Dance takes a lot of my time after high school classes and on weekends with practices and competitions or performances. I have dance every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday. When the New Year rolls around it is a dancer’s busiest time of the year until about June. Most Fridays and Saturdays I have extra practices. If I don’t have practice, then I usually have competitions or performances. In February this year I have a dance competition every weekend and three of them are out of town. When I have competition it is usually a long weekend. They start on Friday and end on Sunday night. Most of the time I have to dance at least two days but sometimes even more, and if the competition is really big, it will start on Thursday instead.

Through all my years of dance it has taught me so much. From multi-tasking to hard work and responsibility. If my mom wouldn’t have ever put me in dance when I was young I don’t know what I would have passion for. I believe in dance.