Kaitlin - Newark, Delaware

“Loyal Supporter”

On New Year’s Day around 4 a clock my grandmother passed away after a very long battle with cancer. This amazing woman inspired me to completely throw away my This I Believe essay after I turned it in and to totally start over. So, I went from a topic about animals that wasn’t very good to my new essay inspired by my paternal grandmother. After my story against my family’s battle against cancer I talk about my belief in an afterlife. I don’t care what kind whether it’s reincarnation, heaven or hell, or just coming back as a ghost, as long as there’s something, then its okay with me, this I believe.

About 10 years ago my grandma got cancer on her tongue from smoking. She had surgery and came back to live with us for a bit. It was kind of scary but then again I was only four so to me it was more like, “Grandma gets to live with us but we are gentle with her because she is sick.” Then a year ago in September we got our first of 3, “it’s back.” She underwent radiation and chemo in November, December, and January. She was good and we went on trips in the summer but once we got back she got diagnosed again. This time my grandma had to get her tongue removed before the cancer spread to her jaw. All was well again but a week before Christmas we got our 3rd and final, “it’s back.” We had tried curing the cancer, but it just didn’t work. About 2 weeks after we realized that her cancer was back for good my mom came up to me after speaking to my dad on the phone and she held my hands before she even said anything I already knew. My very proper, amazing, beautiful, grandmother had passed away and this is when I truly discovered my belief in an afterlife.

I guess that it came because I realized that, how such an incredible woman and millions of other people could leave this earth and truly be gone forever. Well, it didn’t make sense with me and I couldn’t and still can’t really settle on that. Hopefully, I will meet up with my grandma again someday. A woman who kept me culturally aware by taking me to plays at the Grand Opera House and Delaware Children’s Theatre, a woman at every school concert or play, a woman who I baked many Christmas cookies with, and shared a middle name, given us from our grandmothers.

Experiencing a close, family death has strengthened my belief in religion and of course made me understand why many people crave an afterlife so much. The part that I want to make clear is that I don’t care how anybody comes back, just as long as they do.

Word Count: 479