Arriana - St.Louis, Missouri

Box Out

I believe that you are in control of your life. I believe that you can follow whomever you want to follow. I believe you can do whatever you want to do with your life. I am basketball player and my coach is always yelling at me to “box out, and get the rebound”. I can relate that to my life because it seems like he can be saying box out all of the negative people in my life. And “get the rebound” can relate to getting the good or positive things in my life. There have been a lot of times where I have let my friends tell me what to do. Or times where I followed them just to be cool. In the end I a m always the one getting in trouble. For example, when I was in 8th grade one of my best friends was a boy named Allen Washington. He got into a fight with another boy because Allen likes this boys girlfriend. So the girlfriend also wanted to fight Allen. But I didn’t want Allen to hit a girl, so I fought the girl for him. To make a long story short I ended up getting suspended for three days and the girl didn’t get anything. And I was on punishment for a long time. If I would have just boxed out all of the negative things Allen was telling me to do, I wouldn’t have gotten suspended or I wouldn’t have been on punishment.

Next I will talk how when my coach says “box out” it reminds me of when my mom always tells me to keep my head and not to listen to what people are saying about me. She is always telling me that I am close to my goal and if I just block out what everybody else is saying then I can reach my goal. I remember my freshmen year in high school all the upper classmen were trying to pick on me. At that time I was the only freshman on the varsity basketball team, so they were really mat at me. I am the type of person where it doesn’t take much to make me mad. The first practice they left me out of some of drills and they didn’t explain the drills to me. I just felt left out. So I went home and told my mom about the day I had. The first then she said was that I was bigger and better than that. She said that I didn’t come to school to make friends. She said that I come to school to learn and to play basketball. She also told me to keep my eye on my goal and not on everybody else. And I always listen to what my mom says. After she told me that I stared doing really good in school and in basketball. I finished my freshman year with a G.P.A. of 3.5 and I was the beast girl basketball player at Parkway South High School. All because I boxed out what everybody else, and just focused on my goal.

The moral of my story is to follow what you want to do. Just box out what everybody and everything that is bad or negative in your life. Then you can focus on you goal or dreams. No matter what everybody else says you are in control of your life. You can do whatever you want to do good or bad. But try to box out the negative things and get your dream.