I Believe in Hard Work

Alexandra - Purchase, New York

I believe that hard work is a commitment that each of us has to make in all areas of our lives. Hard work does not only apply to a “job” or “career.” My family and I travel to Greece every summer. It is a great time for us to get away from our hectic lives of work, school and responsibilities. Our vacation typically is 3-4 weeks long. Unfortunately, my father is not able to take that much time off from work. Although he is self-employed, he only takes a week and a half vacation. My dad does not have anyone else run his business so he works extra hard before vacation and even more so after his return.

This past summer was the first summer that I came to the realization of the true sadness of the idea that my mom, brother, sister and myself were having a blast and relaxing while my dad was at home working. All I could think of was that for 14 days before meeting us our dad had to return home after a long day of work lacking a kiss and hug from his wife and kids. I now understand why he worked so hard, as having one’s own business is a huge responsibility and sacrifices need to be made. This past summer I realized that my dad is the person in my life I admire most. He has shown me through example that hard work does pay off.

My dad will probably retire within 10 years. As a current sophomore in college living an independent life at school is more than freedom away from parents and constraint. It is about me incorporating the ethics of my dad’s hard work into my school work for my future aspirations. I grasp that when I left my family on August 28, 2006 to begin my college education two and a half hours away from home that I was doing the same thing my dad had to do when he could not come on vacation with us. I had to execute hard work at school knowing that it will pay off in the end. When I look at dad’s hard work I admire him and know there is nothing I cannot accomplish. The fact that my dad, an immigrant from Greece who came to America at the age of 17, will be able to retire before the age of 60 is incredible. I recognize that if I want to be secure and content financially when I get older, I must persevere and strive to be and do my best at all times.

My parents have supplied me with all the essentials of a great life and the foundation of unconditional love. I don’t take the opportunity to attend a private university for granted. Now that I am grown, I am very grateful for everything they have done, especially my father. One day when my dad needs my help, I will be there for him.