Ernestine - Los Angeles, California
Themes: carpe diem

“You’re a tutor Danny. You can’t do anything to me. Are you gonna go tell Ms. Butler?” These were the first words that I heard Brian speak. That day was no different than the last first days of school. As a freshman everyday I would get lost on the way to class, have drama filled confrontations, and still manage to go home care free. Now this is where say I had a crush on this mystery school boy who happened to have the balls to stand up to the tutor from hell. Yet truthfully, I admired his bluntness.

A person’s purpose in life is always positive. Unfortunately some choose to take their destiny in their own hands. So when they come to the giant fork in the road, they take what seems to be right and bright, when, in actuality it’s the direction that has one or two downfalls. From what I know, Brian chose to live each day like it was his last. He cracked jokes on every awkward kid in P.E. clothes, or spit game to a pretty girl passing…and all while he sat at the front tables. He came in late to our class because he wanted McDonalds, spent big bucks on the latest fashion, and he had two phones before everyone else in the world did. I do believe in looking towards the future, as I believe in staying in the present. So when I was told that Brian Merritt had died the night before, during The All Star Weekend in Las Vegas, I cried. I cried for his mother, father, step father, best friends, associates, teachers, and myself. “He was so young and he didn’t finish college”, were the only thoughts I could consider. But quickly after, I looked up and smiled, realizing he had fulfilled his purpose. He may not have gotten where he thought destiny would have directed him, but he finished his job. I was given direction, best friends were given advice, and his parents were given memories. He touched lives of many and gave others a reason to live when they went through personal trials.

At the end of your life you will have made someone’s day and broken someone’s heart. Whether young or old, nineteen or ninety-one when it is your time to live among the dearly departed it will happen. And just like Brian, you will have left a permanent, endless radiant memory in an abundance of hearts.

I believe that everyone has a God given purpose.