anthony - chicago, Illinois
Themes: setbacks

This I believe

I believe that I have the power to overcome the anger that lies within me

It was November just a few days after my birth day when my bother and I found out that are mother is not paying the rent so we had to move to shelter. This was a big shock for my brother and I because we have never been through something like this before, and I wish that no one goes through this.

Within a month or so we noticed that we were on are way to the shelter I cried that day because I lost everything that I had, the only thing I has left with was a bag of clothes and my lost soul, of course I did not know what was going on, I assume the only reason I had was to follow my mother.

Living in a shelter was like living in a prison cell, you had to sleep with people you didn’t even know, people that will take your only clothes not carrying were it came from whose it was. It was like a survival to live in that dark place, the food was the same no flavor or teas, if you turned your head to look somewhere else know that your food will not be there when you look back. Now in over all more than 50 people were staying at that time in that small shelter and there was only one bathroom. In the morning my brother and I had to get up very early to use the showers and get to school on time, but the bad thing of using the showers in that shelter was that every time you toke a shower the door of the bathroom had holes and it was open so thought that someone is looking at you, and there was always piss on the floor it was living with animals.

The thing I most hate about the shelter was the beds they gave use to sleep. My brother and I had to sleep in military beds that hurt the soul and remind me were I am.

Six mounts later that I had arrived in this place my mother tells us that she has to go for awhile to the doctor but she will be back for us, six mounts later my brother and I were still waiting for her to come but never did, but I believe that the anger that I have inside me will not bring my life to a end.

I believe that I have the power to put this anger to shame and live my life with or with out a mother but still have love in me to love a mother. Day by day I feel so empty but I know if I give up no one is going to be there for me when I fall. I know my mother is not a bad person; she just did some bad mistakes in the past.

I will go to sleep crying because I don’t have that mother that will tell me that every thing is going to be ok. I believe that every day that I have this anger I can put it to dust.