Abigail - Lafayette, Indiana

“It’s a wonder I haven’t abandoned all my ideals, they seem so absurd and impractical. Yet I cling to them because I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart.” Anne Frank

I believe that with all the suffering and hardship in the world, there is still good. I believe that there is hope for the future. Maybe life will never be simple, but was it ever really intended to be? People often wonder why there is so much evil. Without suffering, there would be no appreciation for all the happy times or the rare, peaceful moments. Whether a big deed or a small one, it is not hard to see the good in people.

I believe that when I see a person hold the door for someone, or perhaps letting another car go first at a stop sign, or even saying a simple “please” and “thank you,” the world is becoming a better place. All the little things do; giving someone else a smile, saying hello, writing letters to old friends, or making new ones.

Even though awful things such as September 11, the attack on Pearl Harbor, the Holocaust, and too many wars have plagued our world, there are still bright moments in that storm. I believe that even though many people have died, they have given up their lives to fight for other people. America has been through many hardships like any other country. However, when the people bond together and try their hardest to become one, we succeed.

I believe that the human race often says things out of anger and do not realize what the consequences will be. I believe that it is easy for us to look for someone else to blame, to not have to do the dirty work, and for laziness to be the easier taken route. I believe that this is what I have trouble with the most. However, I still have hope in myself for change, and I try my hardest to know that other people too go through what I do everyday, and that I am not the only one who seems to say the wrong thing at the wrong time, or the only one who is going through a rough time.

I believe that our actions do speak louder than words, but we often forget how much. I believe there is a little bit of good in all of us, and that we can all go back and have a second chance. I believe that there must by good if people can forgive and move on with their lives since a life does go by so fast.

I believe, like Anne Frank, that we all have good intentions and good hearts. I believe that I am only eighteen and I am learning more and more about a world I thought I knew everything about. But I do know I believe in people and the goodness within their hearts and souls. This I believe.