Ramiro - San Antonio, Texas

Respect isn’t something given out, it’s something that is earned. I have always been taught about this mindset as a child growing up.

Whether it is a man, woman, or child, respect should be given at all times. I think as a society we have gone away from that. Whether it’s because of the parents, television, video games, or something else can be argued about all day long. But what can be seen is the ever growing increase of disrespect being shown between people today. Respect is something very easy to show somebody, it’s as easy as saying “please” and “thank you”. But nowadays you’ll be happy to get someone to even acknowledge something you have done.

Not only is respect not given out today, but some people actually believe they should be given respect without having earned it. Kids today in the school system won’t respect a teacher when he or she is speaking, but if you talk to them in a tone they don’t like they will complain about being disrespected. It’s quite funny that they feel they should be given the utmost respect, while the teacher who is trying to teach them and to better them should be treated like they are underneath them. For one to receive respect, they should give it to those they deal with. If you aren’t willing to respect your fellow man, woman, or child, then don’t expect to receive the same courteous.

I also believe in the idea that things happen for a reason, almost a “cause and effect” idea. My parents from as early as I could remember would always drive that point into me that no matter what happens things typically happen for a reason.

Case in point when I was 19, my wife, then girlfriend at the time, became pregnant. At the time we were both 2 very dumb, irresponsible teenagers who were pretty much enjoying life. This turned are lives around, we now had to think about someone else. What were we going to feed him or her? What do we do if he or she is crying? Instead of buying a new sports car for myself, I now have to look at getting a SUV or minivan. I was upset and although I understood how it happened, I couldn’t believe that it happened to us. I couldn’t party anymore; I couldn’t have my parents take care of me anymore. This was unfair, and I just couldn’t see the positive of this situation.

My first son was born when I was 20 years old and I still remember that great day. As soon as he was born, it was like a complete change came over me. All those questions of what to do about the baby were gone. All those things like missing parties and not being able to get a sports car no longer matter. What mattered was this beautiful child who I knew I would do anything for. This child taught me to grow up and become a man, to become responsible for my actions. I now understood the reason why he was brought into my life, and it was for me to straighten up and get my head on straight. It made me, as well as my wife, better people. It finally showed me that my parents were right, things do happen for a reason.

In closing I believe strongly in both these ideas of giving respect to others, and accepting what comes to you as a lesson for the future. These ideas have made me into the man I am today, a person that my parents are proud of as well as my kids.