Amy - Indiana

“Share our similarities, celebrate our differences.” – M. Scott Peck

In this life we come to meet many people, all of great diversity. In this life we come to love many people, each different and special in his own way. It is in these differences that I believe. I rejoice and celebrate the backgrounds which separate me from my neighbors. I believe life would be utterly boring without different cultures, different languages, or different personalities.

I believe in culture. I believe in my culture and also those of others. Cultures separate us through our backgrounds, our ancestors, and our beliefs. However, being different is never an awful thing. If there were no cultures in the world, life would be quite boring. It is always nice to share similarities with another, but being exactly the same is no cause for celebration. I believe it is very interesting to share opinions on important matters with someone who does not completely agree with me. It is always entertaining and educational to hear another point of view.

I believe in the power of language. To some languages may act as a barrier which holds us back from really knowing one another. To me, languages are what connect us as living, speaking beings. There are such a great many languages in the world, and it is most likely impossible to learn them all. However, challenging oneself is a part of life that can be very fulfilling. When people from completely different worlds connect with each other, there is a sort of magical feeling. I believe in listening to others communicate in their natural tongue. I may not be able to understand what they are saying, but it is always fun to listen to. It’s amazing to me how different everyone can be, yet we are all saying the same things. I may not be able to understand a word of what another person says, but what would life be without different ways of communicating? Sure, we could all talk to one another and understand, but there would be no challenge in that.

I believe in creating one’s own personality. Everyone has a different personality. I believe it is easier to get along with those with a completely opposite personality than my own. It can be fun to disagree. Always thinking the same thing can be tiring. Different personalities can challenge people to think in different ways. People don’t have to change their minds just because of what another thinks, but when they are surrounded by different opinions, they have a broader view on everything. Surrounding oneself with different personalities is a way to better educate oneself.

It is in these three things, culture, language, and personality that I believe. I believe in them because combined they make me a brighter, better, happier person.