Bethanie - Ramona, California
Themes: gratitude, place

I believe in Sun Valley Charter High school, a high school that felt like a second home, a school were you knew every ones name with out stopping to think about it first. It was a place of comfort, a place of security, and a sense of belonging. It was the place that made me into the woman that i am today.

I was a troubled fifteen year old child when i started my junior year of high school and to my suprise i found out i was pregnant. As i walked into the very small school i felt my stomach turn into knots and my breakfast in my throat. I had this frightening feeling that wouldn’t go away. I was frightened because i didn’t know how my classmates or my teachers might react to the fact that i was a junior and i was already pregnant. I will always remember the day my mom and i walked into my history teacher, Mr. French’s classroom for a student, parent, and teacher conference. As my mom and I sat there listening to all the wonderful things my history teacher had to say about me I knew we would have to tell them, if not now they would find out in a couple of months when my stomach started growing. I remember my mother looking at me, and then at my history teacher. I could only imagine what she was thinking. The she said it, she said those two words that changed my life forever. Those words that made me realize that it was real, that i was a screw up, that i didn’t take care of myself better. Those words “Bethanie’s Pregnant.” I can still remember the look on my history teacher’s face. He smiled, till this day I’m not sure why, but he smiled and said everything was going to be alright, that they would help me in whatever i needed help with. He said it would get hard but that i was a strong young woman and that I could do anything I set my mind to. “You have to follow your dreams and never give up no matter how much you want to give up, no matter how hard it gets. I believe in you,” i remember him saying. At that moment i had actually felt a sense of relief, and a sense of acceptance. I felt that if it was another teacher at another high school they wouldn’t have been as supportive, and they would have just gone with there day as if nothing. I would have been just another pregnant teenager attending there class.

To this day i am grateful for every morning sickness i had during history class. For all the old fashion maternity clothes Mrs. Graff gave me. I am grateful for my fellow classmates swapping their lunches with me because their hot pocket looked ten times better than my turkey sandwich. I am grateful for all the student and teachers who told me i looked beautiful pregnant and that i was going to be a wonderful mother when all i thought about was how i didn’t fit into my size five jeans anymore and i was a failure at everything i did.

Sun Valley Charter High school was more than just a high school. It was my second home. It was my escape from the rest of the world. It made me see that there was more to life then making fun of other people and pissing teachers off. Life was more than just alcohol and drugs. It was a place where i built friendships with my classmates and teachers. It was a place where i learned to never give up on my dreams no matter what life throws at me, and for that Sun Valley Charter High school will always have a place in my heart.