Nicholas - San Antonio, Texas

I believe I am only given what I am meant to handle. Life is a difficult challenge; some things more than others. For me it all really began the moment I walked out of the flames of my own house burning to the ground. It was a gas leak that exploded with out warning. The fire was so hot that it had no feeling; or maybe it was just the shock of what was taking place. As the fire hit my skin I’d say it felt like the breeze from a warm Texas summer. It was surprising to experience that the flames them selves brought me new no pain. Once in the open air with ashes all around, I felt a whole new definition of hurt. This hurt will be burned into my skull for the rest of my days.

After making the five acre hike to the nearest nabor for help, I stepped into the emergency room with little chance of survival. Sometimes I can still see the look of shock on everyone’s face before my eyes aloud the darkness to set in. Several weeks later the torture began. I awoke from what I knew was no dream to discover I was seventy percent burned and couldn’t move my legs. There is nothing more frightening than being told you may never walk again.

Some time later my toes gave off a twinkle. The nerves that probably would not heal began the redevelop. This is when my belief was most tested. Relearning to walk was no picnic. It was an every day conscious decision that I would endure the pain because I wanted it bad enough. The tears and emotion which went into my rehab paid off bitter sweat. People told me that God had a reason for me. And until me daughter was born I truly didn’t understand what that reason was.

Today I can run the two mile in under the minimum required as a volunteer fire fighter. I have learned that family and friends are an important part of my success. The key to my survival was the willingness to try harder. Therapy nurses told me that cant is not an option. The only limits are the limits I give my self. To this I say again; I am only given what I am meant to handle.