Caitlin - Lafayette, Indiana

Aside from God, I place my greatest belief three simple things: love, the inherent good of mankind, and the idea that every person has a place in this world. All other philosophies and convictions that I hold stem from this core.

The question has been raised numerous times as to whether people are born evil or if they have it thrust upon them. This I believe: all members of the human race are innately good. No matter how wicked someone’s actions turn out to be, they do not stem from a naturally malevolent heart. Every man and woman is born with a spark of light and decency. This light can be extinguished, but the hope and possibility that it can be inspired to flame once more exists. Like the antidote to a poison, the inherent good nature of every human being has the ability to prevail over any evil that enters the mind, body, or spirit. I will forever hold onto this trust in intrinsic decency and believe that I and every soul I come across, no matter how wicked they appear to be, has a better nature.

This I believe: Love is the greatest power in existence. I place my entire faith in all of its forms and in its ability to bind and overcome. Love possesses the unique ability to transcend all races, genders, and disabilities. It ignores social, economical, and geographical constraints. Love connects the entire world and allows for miracles to occur. It inspired Christ to sacrifice His life for the eternity of an undeserving world. It gives mothers the strength to pull their children out from under weights capable of crushing the life force from any human. It gives strength in times of weakness, light in time of darkness and provides comfort when all hope seems lost.

Finally, this I believe: Every person, event, and object has a place in this world. Nothing happens without reason. Every trial that I have faced, person I have met, and joy I have taken part in has shaped me. Every person that I have come in contact with has been affected by me and will never be the same, simply because our lives brushed each other’s. I believe that every day should be lived without regret because, in the end of it all, everything will work out just the way that it is supposed to.

This I believe. I believe in love. I believe in the good of the human race. I believe in the idea that everything has a place in the universe. Without a shadow of a doubt, these are the things that I believe.