sean - bismarck, North Dakota

Sean S

Ms. Miller

AP English 11

14 January, 2007

The majority is losing its rights to the minority. Historically, governing bodies that value the minorities’ interests over the majorities’ are labeled as dictatorships or communistic. The United States government is becoming similar in philosophy because the rights of the few are overtaking the original rights of the many, upon which America was founded. The United States is a democracy where we have votes to determine what the majority of the people want and value. The government will never be able to satisfy everyone, but at least the majority of the people are accommodated and satisfied. I strongly believe that the rights of the majority are being sacrificed to accommodate minorities and special interest minority groups.

The Mexico-United States border is continually left open because we are afraid to effectively close it and actively protect it. If the United States government enforces border control, the U.S will be called racist, discriminatory, and other unjust names, while we are only protecting our country, economy, and heritage. Instead of having masses of illegal aliens swarming across our borders, ignorant of the English language, unwilling to assimilate to our culture, and unwilling to accept responsibilities such as paying social security and income tax, the United States should use a guest worker program to choose how many immigrants we need, when we need them, and where they come from and thereby create a way to enforce immigration criteria. This would reduce the expense our society is forced to bear which is required to support immigrants who do not learn English or find employment to support themselves and their families. We are being forced to learn their language when they are the guests to our county. Much of our written product information as well as many textbooks and television programs can be found in both English and Spanish. Written and spoken communication is being adapted to accommodate the minority of people that cannot read English and refuse to learn English. The government needs to stop treating the few as if they were the many and listen to the hardworking, diligent Americans who are the majority that have made America the best country in the world and protect their rights.

I believe this failure to listen to the American majority needs to stop. The rights of minority groups should be considered and respected but should never be valued above the rights of the majority. The minorities may call this injustice, however, the real injustice comes when more people are inconvenienced, taxed, and forced to comply with rules created simply to accommodate interests of the few. The American tradition of having the majority rule and democracy must continue.