Nicole - Escondido, California

Over the years I have come to believe in the power of having girlfriends in your life, most importantly I believe in my best friend Sam. It is true, women should always have girlfriends in their life, so frequently their friendship is crowded with lies and deceit. True girlfriends share the same thought process, and they are there whenever needed when the other is happy, sad, or scared they are there to help share in the emotion. Girlfriends are there to help you laugh when all has gone wrong, to tell you are beautiful just the way you are when you feel like a cow, and to help with all of life’s little quarks.

As long as I can remember I have worked on cars, in a “man’s industry,” so all throughout my life I have been surrounded mostly by men, and there were never any other women around, except for some of the guys girlfriends who occasionally stopped by. All through my life all my guy friends would always want me to hook them up with my girlfriends or invite other girls out with us, however, I always replied that I did not have any girlfriends, and that most girls judged me because I liked to get dirty and fix things. One night I was out with my boyfriend at the time and a few of our mutual guy friends, and they started egging me on to find our friend Niles a date. I said to myself, “what the hell,” so I went on a little mission cruising through the bar and came across a cute girl who did not look high maintenance, her name was Sam, eventually I convinced her to just come over and say hi to him. Sam and Niles did go on a double date with us finally, but it ended with Sam, Tubs (Niles’ bearded dragon), and me sitting on the bathroom floor talking all night, because Sam had a little too much to drink. They never did work out but by the end of the night I knew I found someone that truly understood me.

Years later Sam and I talk regularly and it is guaranteed to be a good night when you get the two of us together. She is the only one who appreciates my blunt honesty and will give it right on back. Sam is the only girl that I have met where we can get into a huge water-balloon fight and beat the snot out of each other till we are both soaking wet on the kitchen floor, then leave five minutes later to go out dancing without even checking how ridiculous we look in the mirror. She has been there for me through breakups, when I need to dance out my frustrations, through surgery, when I need to be cuddled, or when we are both too drunk to walk we have each other to lean on to hold the other up.

There is a saying that reminds me of Sam, “friends are the chocolate chips in the cookie of life,” she always finds a way to break up life’s uniformity with something a little sweet. I realize that everyone has a friendship as great and Sam and I have, they just don’t always know how great it is. Sam helps me become a better person and I thank God that I have someone like her to keep me strong in my life.