Erica - Newark, Delaware

A Dancer’s Dedication

When I was two and a half years old I began an activity in my life that surprisingly I have stuck with for thirteen years now. I’ve grown to love this activity and have shared my talent with many others. My life is dance.

I believe in dedication. Dedication is devoting my time and efforts to something I feel is important in my life. Dancing to me is a way of expressing my emotions and true feelings. I can lose myself in the music and block out any distractions in my life. I don’t have to verbally interact with anyone when I am dancing.

I put a lot of work and time into my classes and I have benefited greatly from that experience. I am now able to help younger students learn what has given me so much joy in life. I teach beginner students the basics of dancing. To me this is dedication because I have to give my time and effort to people I don’t normally interact with. But to me this is a good thing and I really enjoy the time I spend with my students.

Dedication means sacrifice. As a teenager all we are really interested in is hanging out with friends. I have missed many great opportunities because I have chosen to dance. Many times people claim they are dedicated to a sport or activity but when the going gets rough, do they hang in there? Not all the time. I dance and teach year around because I love it.

Another thing I see with people is they dedicate their time to something because somebody wants them to. I am given the option every year of continuing to dance or to quit. I continue every year not because someone wants me to but because I enjoy challenging myself.

Dedication to dance benefits my life. I have been able to perform in shows, parades, and even school performances. I can entertain people and share my skill with others. I love being able to see the joy I bring to people because of my entertainment. To me this means so much. Dancing isn’t just a sport to me. It’s my life and I am completely dedicated.