The Power of Children

Alyssa - Westpoint, Indiana
Themes: children

I believe that being intelligent does not mean knowing all of the answers. I believe that having faith and confidence in oneself is more important than being all-knowing. I believe, that in many cases, elementary school students are smarter than high school graduates. I believe that no one has ever learned it all. Most importantly, I believe that everyone can learn valuable lessons from children.

I have always wanted to be a teacher, but nothing has taught me more than my experience in my Cadet Teaching class. Simply observing a classroom full of lively second graders day after day has taught me more than I could have imagined. Second graders do not stress over their homework, their extracurricular activities, or who the latest couple is. To a second grader, the world revolves around being the line leader, what is for lunch each day, and the best game to play at recess.

Sure, these children have their bad days, too. If someone is not invited to play four-square at recess, the world seems to end, just until a new friend offers half of his or her Twinkie at lunch, and suddenly, everything is wonderful again. A scrape on the knee is easily cured with a kiss from mom. So why don’t adults take advice from seven year olds and find joy in all the small things in life? Why don’t adults act similarly to second graders in moving on quickly without holding grudges?

This I believe, that seven-year-olds have a better outlook on the world than I do. I believe that no one will have ever learned all that they can learn. In certain situations, I think that people should not see the world by acting their age, but rather, by acting their shoe size. I believe that children can be our greatest teachers.