Breanna - Bismarck, North Dakota

I Believe in Second Impressions

I believe you should never judge a book by its cover. I think that when you judge something before you know what it is about you are missing out on an adventure that may change your life or at least have an impact on it. First impressions are important, but they are not the most important thing because just think of how much you would be missing out on if you followed the rule of first impressions.

For me, the most important person in my life today would not be with me if I judged him before I knew him. The first time we met was at a camp and I got an extremely bad impression of him. Once we left camp I figured I would never see him again and I was extremely happy, but I ended up being totally wrong! A few weeks later we crossed paths again at a club we were both in, and I almost died when I saw him. I never would have guessed he lived in the same city as me, and not to mention be a part of the same program as myself. Just to make a long story short we did become friends and after a few years of getting to know each other we are now best friends to this day. If I wouldn’t have given him a second chance that summer and gotten to know what a great guy he really is I wouldn’t be the same person I am today.

After my experience I try to not judge anything or anyone because of what I might see the first time because first impressions are not always the greatest. Today I strive to treat everyone the best way possible because I never know how their day is going or if they just need someone to be nice to them. I do not want to be the person who made their day worse because of my actions toward them, but instead I want to be the person who made it better regardless if I knew them or not. Just think of how good it would feel for someone to tell you that you made their day because of how your actions cheered them up, and for me that is the greatest feeling in the world. Once you are able to look past someone’s crabby side and get to know them for who they really are you may never know what doors will open next and what ones will close. I believe that judging someone before you get to know them is unfortunate because you will never know what you are missing. If they are not your type then you don’t lose anything, but if you don’t even bother to find out then you might be losing everything. Second chances are important and I believe that we should not let pride get in the way of great opportunities that could be awaiting us.