Luke - Bismarck, North Dakota
Themes: question

I believe that the uncertainties in life are not bad like most people would have you believe, but that they are in fact the ingredients that make our lives interesting. I would also not consider it a bad thing to be unable to find reasons behind these uncertainties. For, no matter where you look you will find mysteries but in many cases you could look forever and never really find any reason for them. They are simply there. I think the reason why most people view these unknowns as “bad” is the fact that there is no way for us to plan for them. I feel that one of the most probable and important roles that these anomalies play are simply keeping us on our toes and from becoming boring.

If there were no unknowns in our universe it would become far too easy to lose our imaginations. For, if they were no uncertainties every day would proceed exactly as planned with no deviations. A day with no deviations would mean that you would never have to cope with things that are beyond your comfort zone, causing your imagination to weaken and shrivel. Now, to some that might sound like a reasonable trade off, but this trade could also come with some unnerving effects. Just because you get rid of unexpected things does not mean you will get rid of bad things. So instead of having unpleasant things happen to you unexpectedly, you would now know exactly when and where these bad things would happen. Also all the traces of spontaneity would be lost. For, how can one be spontaneous if everyone already knows exactly what is planned? I believe that everyone just needs to accept these uncertainties as part of daily life and live with them instead of trying to avoid them.

Just because most bad things happen unexpectedly does not mean that all unexpected things are bad. If there were no uncertainties in life I personally do not think life would be worth living. I truly hope that we never figure out all the secrets of the universe we live in. For, once you discover all there is to be discovered and learn all there is to be learned there will no longer be anything left of interest.