Taylor - Bismarck, North Dakota
Themes: sports

Taylor B

Ms. Miller

AP English 11

14 Jan. 2007

Sports were my life. I never knew anything different and had no intention of changing it. Then I found out, sports were tearing apart my ankles. Surgery was a must and my only concern was, can I play in the upcoming basketball tournament? After one surgery on each ankle I was back playing sports. I was still having terrible pain with my ankle. After one more surgery, sports were not even in the picture. I was heart broken. Trying to make me feel better, my mother always said, “you will learn something from this.” She was right.

What I learned from the experiences with my ankles is that everything happens for a reason. It may seem cliché, but for me it is true. When I played sports, my only friends were my teammates. After surgery I was forced to make new friends because those that were in sports were very busy. One of my best friends today is the polar opposite of my teammates. I met her because we had something in common: we were not in sports. I also needed to find new hobbies. My new hobby was my job. I love working and I have met a lot of new people. It would not be possible to have a job while being in sporting activities. Although I could not see it then, I now know why I was put into the situation of not playing sports.

It is okay to be sad about something but eventually one needs to realize some things are not changeable. Dwelling on the past may disable one from seeing all the good things coming from a not so good experience. For me, I know that even when something does not go the way I wanted it to, it will be okay. There is a reason for things to go the way they do. When I am thinking things are going terrible, I remember that everything happens for a reason. When one door closes another opens, even if the hallway to the next door is not a walk in the park.