Alaa - Bismarck, North Dakota

A set of beliefs defines your identity which shapes your personality and behaviors in life. It sets your goals, priorities, role models and purpose of existence. Commonality in belief shapes communities and nations. True unity of mankind, complete submission and world wide peace are witnessed through the religion of Islam. I believe, as a Muslimah (female Muslim), in the Oneness of God and the unity of mankind.

My Anatomy and Physiology class has helped define my belief in the Oneness of God. I have learned about the complexity of cells, systems and organs in the human body and the One who controls the five billion people in the world can only be God. He Who manages and commands every single nucleus of a cell in each person has to be unlike anything else. But not only are there humans, there are also plants and animals, each working in extremely diverse and intricate lifestyles.

The oneness of mankind is easily demonstrated through the Islamic pilgrimage, also called Hajj. People of all races, ethnic backgrounds and social levels gather together to perform the same rituals, wear the same clothing and pray for the absolute reward: to be accepted into paradise. Throughout the pilgrimage, all pilgrims must circle around the Ka’ba seven times and recite prayers, especially for forgiveness and good health. We circle around the Ka’ba in a counterclockwise direction corresponding with the rotation of the planets around the sun and the rotation of all galaxies.

The unity of mankind is also observed through the performance of the five daily prayers. All Muslims around the world pray towards the Ka’ba in Mecca, Saudi Arabia. Together we pray shoulder to shoulder, foot against foot as one body, reciting the same prayers with the same intention of pleasing God. Additionally, Muslims all recite the Quran (Islamic Holy Book) together during prayers and are guided through its wonders. The Quran has never been altered, edited or distorted in anyway since the day it was revealed. Muslims of all nations follow the same Quran, creating an even greater sense of union.

In the Quran, God states, “O men! Behold, We have created you all out of a male and a female, and have made you into nations and tribes so that you might come to know one another. Verily, the noblest of you in the sight of God is the one who is most deeply conscious of Him. Behold, God is all-knowing, all-aware,” (Quran 49.13). Referring to men and women as a pair signifies the equality and unity of mankind. If one would count the number of times the words “man” and “woman” are seen in the Quran, one would see that they are both referred to 23 times each, reminding one that each parent passes on 23 chromosomes to its offspring. No one but God could have created such a miracle.

My way of life is based around my religion. All of my behaviors and thoughts circulate around the belief that there is no deity but God. I find that the more I learn in life, the more my beliefs are confirmed and my actions confident. I feel that I become part of a larger humanity that is striving toward the same goal, God, and thus we become united.