Janella - Bismarck, North Dakota

It took a tremendous amount of courage to pick up the phone and dial that fateful number. “What number?” you might ask. “A number for what?” Well, to answer your question without further aggravating your curiosity, the number was to a publishing company. Now you might be wondering why am I calling a publishing company. I am calling because I am a writer who wishes to finally live her dream.

I believe that anyone is able to overcome any obstacle with determination.

I started writing at an early age and I always joked around with my friends that I wanted to become an author, maybe be as famous as J. K. Rowling herself. Not until middle school did the realization hit me that I could become an author if I tried. Thus began the grueling journey of premature coffee drinking, all-nighters staring at the computer screen, and a permanent headache known as “writer’s block”; all of this to hone my skill to become as great as the authors I looked up to.

Only one thing put a damper on sunny day of writing nostalgia: I needed to find a publisher. I was a kid, I had no idea how to find a publisher more than I could have figured out a calculus problem; plus, I was too frightened to go out and try to find one. So there my work sat, idle and collecting dust.

High school hit me like a bucket of water; my sixteenth birthday was nearing and I still hadn’t done anything about my becoming an author. So I search the internet and found a company that seemed to be alright. So I sent them an e-mail and they replied and asked when I would be able to talk with a correspondent. I immediately jumped the gun and was on the phone the next day discussing my soon-to-be published book. Everything seemed to be going smooth: my parent’s agreed to pay for the cost, I had all of my papers together, and my self-editing was almost complete. Too bad life likes to throw curveballs at people in my position.

I found out the company only wanted my money and cared nothing about my book. That sunk me into a pool of depression ten miles deep. I cancelled my contract with them and put on a smile, repeating over and over, “I’ll find a better one.” Another year passed and with it, my sixteenth birthday.

Moral seemed to be running low inside me and I took a break from writing, that was until my father handed me a paper with a number written on it. He said that he had talked with a guy from his work and this was the company that he had published his book through and they could be trusted.

That day, I picked up the phone and talked with a consultant. Now I have a publisher waiting for my story and a dream that is about to be fulfilled all because of determination.