Kristen - renton, Washington

He is my best friend. His formal name is Sampson Reeses Arend, but I like to call him Sammy. One bright sunny afternoon once school was out, my dad came to pick me up at the usual time and seemed to have a strange bulge in his black leather jacket. I came running up to him from the steps outside to see what was hiding in his jacket. And there he was, Sammy, a brown miniature Dachshund. He was adorable, from his big, innocent eyes to his soft brown fur and tender paws. Since that day on, we were inseparable. Every day while I was at school I would look forward to going home and seeing Sammy. He would wait by the front door for my family and me to come home, and as soon as the door opened it was an explosion of emotions. Wagging his tail, jingling his tags on his collar, and running all throughout the house, this became a daily routine.

He is my best friend. When I am sitting in my room doing homework, he patiently waits for me on my bed staring at me with his glassy eyes. When the sun is out, he is always willing to take a walk around the block with me. When I have to take the garbage out, he comes with me to make sure I am coming back. When I feel like taking a nap, or am ready to go to sleep at night, he follows closely. When strangers or new friends come through the front door, he checks them out as if he were my body guard sniffing their feet and legs, and growing at the visitors he feels uncertain about.

He is my best friend. He is there to listen attentively when I need to vent, play with when I am bored, cuddle lovingly with when I am sleepy, run with when I need some exercise, and eat the food that gets dropped on the floor. A best friend is someone that is always there for you no matter what. And I believe that everyone needs a best friend, and my dog is my best friend.