“Opposites Attract Life Long Love”

Tanya - san jose, California
Themes: love

My boyfriend and I have been together since I was only 14 years old. I am now 21. Everyone told us it wouldn’t last, but here we are, seven years later, and still going strong.

My boyfriend is the complete opposite of me in nearly every way. He is extremely active and good at any physical endeavor he attempts; I, on the other hand, have never been good at sports and would rather relax and read a good book than skateboard any day. He has never excelled in academics; while I have been a straight “A” student most of my life. I have always been the book smart one, and he, the street smart one. He is spontaneous and unstructured; while I am an organized and methodical. These immense differences in character have always left our friends and family wondering, “Why are these two kids even together?”

Our seemingly opposite personalities have definitely led us to some disputes throughout the years, but none we couldn’t overcome, and even learn from. One day, we were arguing about something that we had disagreed upon. In the middle of our screaming fit and after we had thrown our entire uneaten McDonald’s feast at one another, I realized I didn’t even remember what we were initially fighting about. I immediately asked him why he was mad at me in the first place, and he couldn’t remember either. There was nothing left to do but laugh.

Since that day, we have simply agreed to disagree; and when we do begin to argue, we simply look into each other’s eyes and know it’s just not worth it. Life is too short to spend it fighting with the ones you love; especially when we know that in 15 minutes, an hour, or even the next day, we will make up and life will go on.

Beyond the hardships, I have also realized that our opposite ideologies bring us together. If he needs help reading some difficult paperwork for his job, I can help. And if I get lost driving to a new destination, I know I can call him and he will effortlessly give me the correct directions. Through the years, our opposite characteristics have brought us closer and I believe that we truly do complete each other. People always say that opposites attract, but I never really knew why until I met Dustin. Anything he can’t do, I can, and visa versa. We are like peanut butter and jelly; complete opposites, but perfect for each other.

The one thing I believe in most in life is love; love can truly get me through any obstacle life throws. People said that our relationship would never make it through high school. And when college came, they said we would never make it through that. But it is truly these differences and these personal imperfections that make us perfect for one another.

I know that we are still young, and we have our whole lives ahead of us, but I know that our mutual love and our differing personalities will always bring us together and be the balance that keeps us going though it all. I wholeheartedly believe that love truly does conquer all.