Erica - Manchester, Missouri

Erica Ford

Mrs. Dempsey

English 3

13 January 2008

“It is important to have friends who care.” – Charlie Brown. It is truly essential in life to be a good friend. I believe in this because I know that no matter what is going wrong in my life, if I have friends who care about me then I am happy. So in turn, I try and be that friend whom people can lean on for support when they need it. Everyday I try to be the best friend I can be to others, but there are a few examples that stick out in my mind.

My friends and I were in a program called Upward Bound where we would stay at a college for half of the summer and get early college credits. Everyone knows that along with college comes the partying. Well my roommates and I decided to host a party in our room one night. It just so happened that the next day the housing directors did room checks. Pretty soon I was being questioned on why there were tons of empty bottles and cans under my bed. Even though they knew that not all of that alcohol could have been mine, I took the blame for all of it. I thought that getting myself kicked out of the program was worth it so all of my friends could remain part of it.

Another time, my friend was going through a lot of stuff and having problems. One night on myspace she sent me a message saying that she was going to kill herself. I immediately called her and reminded her of all the good times we have had. I told her how much I loved her and asked her if knowing that at least one person cares about her that she can use that reason to live. Thank God she is here today! I think I gave her courage and showed her that people do care about her.

Last but not least, one day I was told by my doctor to wear a heart monitor because of some irregular heart patterns I was having. I was really worried about it, but my best friend assured me everything was okay by telling me, “ Erica, the only reason you have to wear a heart monitor is because you are so nice that your heart may burst!”

These are just a few examples that show a quality I believe in. No one ever told me that this is an important quality to possess. I have come to realize that on my own with my move. I moved to a new state, am going to a new school, and don’t know a single person. I’m sure I will make friends, but it is important that I do not forget about my old ones and keep in touch with them. I am that person in a group of friends whom never gossips, and everyone tends to share all their secrets with me. I try to be a good listener and let people know that they can trust me. My friends told me that they would never be the same without me. Without being a good friend to others I would not be where I am today. This is so important because you never know whose life you have touched.