Neal - Ballwin, Missouri

I believe that hand-written books never fully make the conversion onto the silver screen. The reader’s mind can picture what the book has to say ten-fold then when somebody takes a camera and films a movie. It always leave important or note-worthy parts from longer books that can tie up loose ends and play important roles in the plot development. The movie based on a book can never surpass what it is based on.

I believe that a two-hour movie can never summarize a three-hundred to five-hundred page novel. After reading the first book in the Lord of the Ring series, I was disappointed learning the scene of Tom Bombadil was cut from the film. Scene like this always decreases the journey to the climax of the story. The problem in the forest early in the story helps create relationships with the fellowship that drives them throughout the story to the end in Mordor. Some story that are so epic cannot be contained with all the details in a two and a half hour movie.

I believe that sometimes when the transition is made into the big screen the films can lack the quality that its book contains. The majestic word play of the pen never restricts the imagination of reader. However, when the filming of the movie takes place and the finished product is released it limits the minds ability to run wild with imagination. After reading the Harry Potter series and seeing the movies, I can never see the school how it is depicted in the movie; it just doesn’t make sense to me. The pages of books surpasses that of the special effects of movie makers.

When people try to depict the epic and majestic stories that you have come to love you want every detail of the work to be perfect. When writers miss the devolvement of characters or leave important details about the story floating in the wind, it doesn’t tell the story completely. Even though many movies do a great job telling the story; the books are always better.