Nathan - Ballwin, Missouri
Themes: work

When I was younger, I would look at some of most accomplished people in society and I would wonder how those accomplished people got where they did. The answer to that almost always included the word effort. If you were to look up the word effort in a dictionary, the following definition would appear: Effort: exertion of physical or mental power. I believe that the word effort doesn’t need a textbook definition; the word for me can be summed by just looking around at the people in my life.

For me, I’ve learned about the virtue effort from the people around me. One of my favorite quotes about effort was said by Steve Prefontaine, who was a running sensation during the 1970s. Prefontaine said, “To give anything less than best is to sacrifice the gift.” This quote speaks volumes about effort. Prefontaine is saying that people who do not have effort will sacrifice the gifts and talents that God gave them. Therefore, effort is needed to succeed in life and the gifts that God gave every human. The people that have taught me about effort are my parents. My parents are my role models and the effort they put in to me has helped me be successful. They haven’t just put just effort in me, but in the rest of my siblings.

Some of the things my parent have put effort into for me is in their love for my siblings and I. They’ve put effort into my activities, so that I can enjoy and have fun in the activities that I enjoy. Lastly, my parents have put a very large effort into my education and have given me a chance to get a Catholic education. All the effort my parents have put into my family is appreciated. This I believe that my parent’s example of effort and the words of Steve Prefontaine will live with me no matter where the road of life leads me.