Abby - Wildwood, Missouri
Themes: illness

I Believe

Today, the word CANCER is a common one. Lung cancer, breast cancer, and brain cancer are just a few of the almost endless list. Almost everyone I know has been affected in some way by cancer. I know people who fought it and beaten the horrid disease, and I also know those who did not overcome the struggle. Cancer is killer, and I believe there has to be a way to win the battle.

I believe that we must all come together to put an end to this disease. I believe there is a cure, a way to save those who are fighting for their lives. There has to be a cure out there somewhere, and I believe our country should invest in finding it. Everyday, we come closer to that great discovery, and, if we all work together, we will beat the monster. There are men and women who, through hard work and determination, are making leaps and bounds toward a cure. They are hope. People are hoping and praying that these people can make the medicine that will save their or their loved ones lives.

Everywhere people suffer from cancer. Missouri, France, Rwanda, Australia – its everywhere. Everyday, someone loses someone they hold close to cancer. Everyday, someone is defeated by cancer. According to The Cancer Cure Organization, in 2002, it was estimated that 555,500 people were going to die of cancer. That’s over 1,500 deaths a day. 555,500! That number is why we need to overcome this awful disease. We need to give those thousands of people a chance. Those children who died still had long lives to live, and, if we find the cure, we could let them live the life they deserve.

Who would have known that a six letter word could have such and impact on our lives? Who would have known that a six letter word could kill so many people? Who would have known there would be no easy cure? These questions are ones we all ask, and I say we should continue searching! We shouldn’t dwell on the past, but try toward the future. So many improvements are being made toward a cure, and if we keep fighting, there will one day be a cure. I believe that there is a cure, and I believe that we are close to one. We all have lost someone. Cancer, it’s a six letter word. Fight for a cure.

I dedicate this essay to Lexi Tullman. Her seven year brain cancer battle ended in 2007, and today she inspires me to get through the obstacles life throws at me.