Kayla - Ballwin, Missouri

I believe that all people should stand behind our troops, the men and women who would proudly die for their nation in the ongoing fight against terrorism. While we sleep in our comfortable beds, soldiers stay awake for days on end. They sacrifice a meal for an extra shift in patrolling the streets and when we can call our friends up on the phone anytime, a soldier anxiously waits for a letter from home. Sure, people say they support the troops and maybe they put a yellow ribbon on their car or tree. Ask yourself, how is this really helping the soldiers? Going the extra step and possibly sending a care package to a unit or simply writing a letter to a soldier, explaining how thankful you are for their service, is a good way to show your appreciation. I watch my relatives, family, and neighbors go to war all of the time. Everyday men and women go and fight for us, the least we can do is be grateful.

Even if you don’t agree with the war or you don’t believe in what they are fighting against, they are defending your freedom. When you go and protest the war, our troops are fighting for your right to express your beliefs simply because we are American and we are free. We can all take a little extra time out of the day to send a letter or just a prayer for our troops. This, I believe.