Margaret - Ballwin, Missouri
Themes: equality

I believe in many great things. I believe in being who you are. I believe in being who you want to be. Most importantly I believe in equality no matter who you are. Even though I believe in equality doesn’t mean you can always see it clearly wherever you go. In some place you actually have to look for one person out of everyone else sticking up for someone being treated unfairly. No matter where you are or what you are doing, you will always find that one person doing the right thing. You will always find that one person who believes the same thing I do, who believes in equal rights.

I know that there are wars all over the world, and they are all caused by three reasons. The first reason is race; some people cannot over come their prejudices. The second reason is religion; most people always think that religion is the best, so they think that others should conform to their ideas. The third reason is territory; everyone wants the most land. If we could be a little more just, a little more understanding, and a little more willing to share, the world would improve immensely. You wouldn’t have to look for the one person willing to stick up for the stranger, everyone would be that person.

I remember when I first understood that not everyone was nice, and that not everyone was fair to others. I think the first time that this revelation really hit me was on September 11, 2001. I remember thinking, how could one group of people create such a travesty for an entire country? Now at the time I was only in second grade so my real question was, why are these people being so mean to us? I asked my parents and they said that they couldn’t explain it, and that they really didn’t understand either. They did tell me that it was possible that the people who crashed the planes into the Twin Towers felt like we (Americans) were interfering with Middle Eastern affairs, whenever we provide help to Israel or other countries in that area. Another reason was that they didn’t like our views on religion and government.

This was when I decided that if someone was mean to you, maybe it was because you had be mean to them at another time. I realized that every single person in the world deserved to be treated with kindness and understanding. No matter what they looked like, what they believed, and no matter what gender they were. We need evaluate people with equality because as one song says, “We are all connected in a circle that never ends.” When you treat one person with equality, you are in turn helping yourself. Equality for all people, this I believe.