Bella - Tacoma, Washington

Bella Walker

Honors English period 6

This I Believe essay

“I want the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.” Why? What compels us to know the truth about everything? What happened to the continuing mystery of life and things that just were what they were? Plain and simple, no digging or searching? I believe in the sanctity of not knowing everything.

Since I was a young child I have always gotten into things and found out or discovered things that should have probably remained hidden from me. I don’t exactly know what it is that urges my constant need to unmask every little lie or secret or detail that I do not trust. My need soon turned into an obsession that would come to rule my life and dictate who or what I trusted.

Most people hide things that they are ashamed or embarrassed of, or things that might hurt you or have a negative effect on you. The constant prying often does nothing but cause people hurting. A lot of the things people find out serves no purpose to them, so there was no point in bothering to find out. For others, there is the little voice in your head that won’t let you forget what you know, no matter how much it is destroying you.

For me, that little voice serves as a constant reminder of the invading choices I made that will forever remain with me. The knowledge and shock of that facts I learned soon turned into an addiction that still destroys and overpowers me. No matter what I try to forget, it seems that there is something inside of me that clings to the secrets that should not have been mine. I have discovered that the outcome of this unfortunate natural instinct is regret: an extremely difficult concept to deal with. Not a day goes by that I don’t whish I had never been so prying. What I have found out only causes me to be judgmental and carry a burden I shall never escape.

Perhaps it is societies driving obsession with needing the knowledge, to be able to scrutinize others rather than our selves; or perhaps society needs to know everything to feel connected. I believe in the preciousness of a secret and I believe in the sanctity of not knowing everything.