Carole - Denver, Colorado
Themes: change

This I believe, I must not always finish what I start. Giving up or quitting never seems like an option, but maybe it should be in some situations. Challenging myself to finish, just for the sake of finishing, may not always be the best option. I am struggling with a decision. I would not call this a life changing decision because after about two years pass, I think I will be in the same position regardless of what I decide now.

I began considering this decision about a year ago. When the idea first crossed my mind, it seemed like a very distant goal. I had no direction or plan. The goal is now much more attainable, but now I am not sure that I want to reach the goal.

Several times a week, I am strongly in favor of changing my current surroundings, finding all new friends and living on the opposite side of the country, and several times a week, I find myself content with what I currently have. I am trying to decide if transferring to another university at the end of this year would be a positive or negative change in my life.

The decision to transfer has been a year long struggle because the idea of transferring seems like a negative thing. It seems like I am giving up on the challenge that is college. I was always taught to never give up, to push myself to finish, but I don’t believe I should feel obligated to simply get through my college years. This is a time of life that should be enjoyed. Of course, the school work will be difficult, but I do not think the experience as a whole should be a challenge.

I believe I thrive on change. I find myself craving new surroundings, something very different from the small town I am in now. Whether I end up with high school friends, back in a Catholic school, clear across the country, or back in Denver, closer to my parents, I think a change would be positive. Sometimes, I think my reasons for desiring to transfer are petty. For example, I would rather be in a snowy climate. Sometimes, I think it is my need for adventure that has made thoughts of transferring persistent in my mind.

Regardless of the reasoning behind the decision, I fear that I will feel like I have failed if I do not follow through with my initial college choice. I fear that I will regret whatever decision I make. There are situations where quitting may not actually be failing, and I think this may be one of them. Desiring to make a change is different from desiring to give up all together. Transferring should not feel like failing, but rather, it should reflect my courage to make a positive change.